Pages

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

A little normalcy

So last month, my dear boyfriend was told that his days of working from home were over. Not just for him, but for his whole team. He's been working from home since around 2005-2006, somewhere in there, because his job required quite a bit of travel. The travel has been less and less over the past few years [minus the basically 6 months he spent over in Europe a couple of years ago], and finally the powers that be decided it was time for all of them to come back into the office.

Now when I would tell most people that he worked from home, they would usually exclaim, "Oh, how nice for the both of you! You get to spend all of that time together since you don't work!"

Pfft.

PFFT, I SAY.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy. But when you're with someone basically 24/7, things can get kind of ... well, sometimes it blows. I'll just be upfront about that. If you're one of those "OMG Schmoopsie and I do EVERYTHING together and I cry when he goes to the bathroom" kind of girls, more power to ya. I'm not one of those girls.

Plus, I have to admit, his working from home took a toll on his health. Mine, too. Too many McDonald lunches. Too much sitting around. Too many naps. Too many days in sweatpants and stretchy shorts that let you gain a pound or two [or forty] and you don't really notice.

When he told me he'd be going back to the office on September 2nd, I was shamefully excited. I started looking for dinner ideas. I thought about how I would clean the house. I thought about how getting out of the house daily would help him, too.

I might have taken advantage of my future plans in the past couple of weeks. I sat around. I played games. I didn't cook or clean or anything if I could help it. Things were going to change, and I wanted to wallow in the slothiness that had become our life.

Today when I woke up, the house was quiet. I got up, watched 2 hours of Gilmore Girls while I had breakfast [slow scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast], I tried on some jeans that I'd bought last year that didn't fit. They fit now. I don't know why they do, but they do. I put on a cute top, put my hair up, put on makeup. I went out to the grocery stores to buy items for the next few meals.

I feel calm. It feels so normal. Right now, I have potatoes cooling before I chop up veggies to make potato salad. I have some beautiful steaks just waiting to be seasoned and grilled when he comes home. The house is still kinda messy, but it's nice to know that tomorrow as I have dinner in the slow cooker, I can take my time cleaning it up. When he comes home tonight, we'll have dinner and actually have something to talk about. Oh, that's the other thing about his working from home. We had nothing big to talk about except the cat because both of us had seen and done the same things all day long. No bueno.

Yogurt for lunch today, since tonight's meal is big. And no pics, so here, shake it off.





0 comments:

Post a Comment